Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Back on the Roller Coaster

2011 was the year I kicked ass on the weight-loss front, losing nearly forty pounds. I was focused, disciplined, and got myself to a lower weight and size than I had been since before moving to the land of snow and cheese back in 2001.

Unfortunately, this year I hurt my back, got depressed, and lost all the ground I had gained—and by "lost" I mean that I've piled back on the pounds and my gut made its triumphant return to rotundity. The combination of low activity combined with eating (badly) for comfort had its entirely predicable effect:

I'm fat.

The good news? I didn't gain back all the weight I'd lost. The glass (of fat) is half full, as I only put on some twenty pounds back on since my record-low of last year. The other piece of good news is that my back is not permanently injured, and I can reduce my chance of hurting it again by losing weight and getting into non-round shape.

I've been thinking about a lot of things in my life in the past week, but this is where I talk about my health goals. I stepped on the scale this morning, and will go back to my old Monday-morning "official" weigh-ins starting next week. Here's where I'm starting:

Starting Point:
278.8 lb.

WW point-counting, daily walks, and trips to the gym are happening. I'll keep everyone updated, because last year the weekly blogging and sharing helped keep me honest and focused. I know I'm an attention-whore but I can at least use it to my advantage

Thanks for everyone who's been supportive and encouraged me in the past, and in advance for everyone who does so this time around. My target is 225 lb.—just over 50 lb. down and over 100 lb. down from my highest weight that I hit back in 2004 when health problems and apathy were at their max.

Advice, encouragement, and hugs are all appreciated. We'll see if I can get down at least three pounds in the first week!

1 comment:

  1. I've very slowly lost about almost 30 lbs over the last year, using WW, and making a number of lifestyle changes. I still have a long way to go, but remember to forgive yourself when you stumble that you can always make a fresh start when you need one.

    ReplyDelete